Monday, September 6, 2010

I say Oui to Clafoutis!

Labor day is the perfect slow day. Since nothing is open, you don't feel guilty staying in your pjs and bake!

I've bought a basket of good looking peaches yesterday and was hoping to make a great dessert out of it.But not any kind of dessert, I wanted to try something new, something different, something I've never made before. As I go through my morning ritual of browsing the 20 or so dessert blogs I follow, I stopped in my tracks when I see a peach and Meyer lemon clafoutis on BakingBites. I've never heard of a clafoutis before but it looked so divine that I couldn't resist. So the clafoutis challenge begins...

I started researching it and became increasingly excited to make this French baked dessert. A clafoutis is basically made with eggs, milk, sugar, a little flour and any kind of fruits, originally cherries. However, along with the excitement came confusion; none of the recipes I found were the same! Some recipes call for 2 eggs while other ask for 3, 4 or even 4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks. Even the amount of flour spans from none to a whole cup. Some call for milk while others call for heavy cream. The amount of fruits and sugar were never the same neither. I gave up deciphering through all of it and decided that if so many combinations would work, maybe I can come up with my own with what I have in the fridge and pantry.

Since I love peaches, I tried to squeeze in as many as possible in my 10" tart pan and also didn't bother removing the fruits' skin. Not only am I lazy, but I also love the color effects it gives.


I had some leftover coconut milk and decided to replace some of the milk with it to richen the mixture. I also added a pinch of nutmeg and made the whole thing in my food processor.


Dare I say that the result looked so delicious. As I've never tasted a clafoutis before, I' m not sure what it's supposed to taste like, and I don't really know if mine was done right, but I loved my little concoction. It came out so light and yummy. I'll try a "professionally" made one to compare next time. Or some of you could let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.





 Enjoy!

Thanh's Labor Day Peach Clafoutis
make 10" tart pan


5 medium sized peaches
1/2 cup all purpose flour *
1/3 cup + 1 Tblsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder *
1/4 tsp salt

pinch of nutmeg
3/4 cup milk 

1/2 cup coconut milk (I had leftover, but I guess you could use regular milk)
2 extra-large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 Tblspoon butter to butter pan



*Next time, I'll try to reduce the flour to 1/4 cup and omit the baking powder all together.


Preheat oven to 425F and lightly grease a 10-inch round baking/tart dish or a deep pie plate.


In a medium bowl, whisk together  milk, coconut milk, eggs and vanilla extract. In food processor, pulse flour,sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg to combine. With food processor running, slowly pour in the milk texture. Let it sit while you prepare your fruits.


Cut peaches in eighths and arrange slices in a single layer in pan. Pour prepared mixture in pan slowly and sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar on top. Bake for 15 minutes at 425F then reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for an extra 20-25 minutes,  until clafoutis is golden brown and a sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean.


Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.

4 comments:

  1. sounds about right! I made one last year with apricots and it was like a cross between a pancake and.....? It was delicious....I have never eaten a professional one either, you just dont see 'clafoutis' on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanh, i love your blog. i've made a resolution to use my oven more and i think you will help me keep it. can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, it's been so long...Yah it was like half pancake, half custard. I had it for breakfast and it was great.

    Gretchen, oh no, are you sure you want me to help you with the oven? It could be a disaster. hehe. It might be a rough ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On ira!!
    http://www.mamieclafoutis.com/accueil.html

    ReplyDelete